Dia de Muertos
double click PDF icon
Catrina Queen Contest!
1st Place Winner ($1,000.00 price)
2nd Place Runner-up ($500.00 price)
3rd Place Contestant ($300.00 price)
1st Stage: Catrina Photographs (10)
2nd Stage: Catrina Production video interview (1)
Enrollment fee $150.00. The enrollment fee is per each participating model, the payment can be in cash or credit card following the “Pay my fees” link. As a Makeup Artist you can team up with as many models as you want. If you do not have a model to team up with, you can be your own model.
Age Limit/Catrina Queen Division: Catrina Models here forward should be 14 years of age or older. Minors should be always chaperoned.
• Registration deadline: October 28th, 2022.
• Submission of photographs and video Interview: October 30th, 2022.
• Winners Announcement: November 3rd, 2022.
• Awards: November 5th, 2022. Crowning, 3pm Stage 7.
To participate and make your experience pleasant, we ask you to read the following information thoroughly. Remember that the folklore and color of our celebration should be reflected in the Catrina creation.
Registration: Download the PDF registration file, fill the form up with your information and submit with proof of payment to 1303 Central Avenue, Kansas City, KS 66102 before the end of day on October 28th, 2022.
PLEASE NOTE: A minimum of 3 (three) Contestant are required to be registered, for the Catrina Queen Contest to take place.
• Makeup Artist: The person creating the full Catrina design and conducting the production of the
• Catrina Model: The person modeling the Catrina design in public, also the person who would be
representing the Celebration as the Queen in the parade and other events.
• Contestant Team: Both the Makeup Artist and the Catrina Model together, including any other
person who participates in the production of the Catrina design.
Digital Material Submission.
By October 30th, you will produce and submit 10 photographs and one video for presentation.
2 Photograph of the Catrina in horizontal format, full body, from (approx.) 25ft distance / Any background.
3 Photographs in vertical format, full frontal face close-ups at different angles.
5 photographs in vertical format of your model’s full body posing / Any background.
1 photograph of Makeup Artist and Catrina model together in the case of a team entry.
Your photos must be high resolution HD. Face photographs must be taken against neutral backgrounds, the full-body photographs may be compositions with a background or landscape according to the theme.
Your photographs should be in JPG format ONLY. Your files should be in the following format:
Name of makeup artist_name of model 1.jpg
Name of makeup artist_name of model 2.jpg etc.
Only HD photographs without retouching or editing will be accepted.
1 Video. Catrina Models will take part in a simple and general knowledge of the Celebration video.
Video content: Video record the Catrina design production. All Catrina Models should give a special
message (speech) to the public of what it means to be a Catrina, showcasing their personality and public demeanor. The video can be edited.
Answer the following questions in no specific order:
1. What does it mean to you to represent Catrina?
2. Explain your Catrina Style and Technique
3. How did Catrina become part of the Day of the Dead tradition?
4. What are the aspects of Catrina representation that should always be there?
5. Where did you get inspiration to create your Cantrina?
During the contest you cannot share your digital submission (pictures or video) on social media, but you can promote your participation. If you promote your participation, you will need to tag the contest webpage and use hashtags as follows:
www.DayoftheDeadWeekend.com and use the following hashtags
And the Branding Key “I<3KCK”
1. Catrina Style Make-Up: All Catrina designs should reflect our ethos in the choice of their Catrina makeup. Catrina Models will be required to wear full Cantrina decorative makeup, you can do makeup on the face, neck and décolleté. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will half face Catrina make-up or foundation only be allowed. We would ask that all Catrina Designs exemplify the natural, pure, and wholesome beauty of the contestant.
2. Catrina Style Garments and Attire: The Attire must be according to the theme established by the tradition of the celebration. All Contestant teams will be required to supply their Garments. Jewelry should be kept classic and elegant, foremost the culture- appropriateness. Outfits can be custom made or purchased off the rack. Tattoos, face, hair, and body decorations or piercings, hairstyles, headdresses, and head accessories, contact lenses, eyelashes, cosmetic glitter, wigs, rhinestones, vintage hats, crowns, and tiaras with floral or other brocades. are allowed.
Elements NOT allowed: Plastic Catrina Masks, Halloween, or Monster Masks.
3. Underage Notice. For security purposes, all Parents/Guardians of underage Catrina models MUST read the contents of this RULES AND REGULATION document thoroughly. Parental/Guardian consent form MUST be obtained BEFORE AGREEING to register your child for the contest. Adults will be contacted in advance to verify validity. An Adult will be required to accompany and escort Contestants younger than 18 years old to rehearsals, camps, training, events, and all Contest related activities.
4. Final Selection Judging: The Judges’ decision is final. By registering for the Day of the Dead Catrina Queen Contest, all Contestants accept the Judges’ decision is full and final. In case of a tie in the content of scores, the judges will have a second round of scoring under which the winner will be determined.
5. Scoring: Catrina Design, Makeup and Garment. 50% Personal Misdemeanor and Public Persona 30% Traditional Knowledge 20%
6. Winner’s Term: The winner will hold their title for a period of 1 (one) year and must be available to attend the next year’s Finals to crown the new Catrina Queen and participate in all CABA official events as requested.
7. General Eligibility: In consideration of inclusivity and tradition, race, creed, ethnicity, or gender have no bearing in the partaking of this pre-Hispanic celebration of life, therefore race, creed, ethnicity, or gender shall not be disqualifiers of any contestant at any given moment. However, to be eligible as a Catrina Model, Catrina Models must adhere to the following criteria:
• Possess a bright and lovely personality and have excellent manners and social skills. Must also have charisma, elegance, poise, and a charming nature. Possess a bright, compassionate, caring, and genuine personality. Radiate a unique, divine, bright, and charming charismatic disposition. Have poise, elegance, excellent decorum, manners, and etiquette
• Be an excellent conversationalist with complementing social skills
• All Catrina Models up to 18 years old must have Parental/Guardian consent and permission before participating as Catrina Model. For security purposes, we will NOT entertain correspondence or inquiries from minors alone.
• Catrina Models do not have to be a natural born female but must culturally accurately represent a Catrina female figure.
• If the Catrina Model has had a criminal record, felony, or any conviction and has paid her/his debt to society, such a situation shall not be a factor for disqualification, however this record should be disclosed at the time of registration.
• All Catrina Models should constantly demonstrate excellent moral character while participating, title holding and moving forward.
• All Sponsorships (private or corporative) obtained prior to the contest enrollment will have to be registered, failure to do so will face disqualification.
• All Catrina Models will be expected to stay in place for the full duration of all required
• Catrina Models should be in good health and of sound mind during all aspects of the Contest process.
• Catrina Models should not be pregnant. If there is a change in circumstances, then the Catrina Model will contact the Day of the Dead production offices immediately to advise. Catrina Models understands that this may affect a change in her eligibility to compete or perform the requirements of participation during and after the Contest and would fall on the runner up to fulfil all responsibilities.
• If the Catrina Model has willingly or unwillingly been exhibited nude or seminude in any public venue, media or channel being it digital or in likeness, before registration, such situation shall not be a factor for disqualification, however this record should be disclosed at the time of registration.
• All Catrina Models will give consent and permission for Day of the Dead Catrina Contest/Parade Queen to televise, record or video produce all materials, media, use any portion or all the competition for promotional and branding purposes.
• All Catrina Models will need to acknowledge that all rights from appearances, endorsements, speaking engagements, acting roles, etc. resulting from participating as a Catrina Models or Titleholder shall belong to the CABA/Day of the Dead Catrina Contest/Parade Queen.
• All finalists of the Day of the Dead Catrina Contest/Parade Queen will be required to participate in all CABA events community and otherwise as requested.
• All Catrina Models that are crowned/titleholders will be and remain under the understanding and agreement to, during their one-year reign in the capacity as a Day of the Dead Parade Queen/titleholder, that their professional public and social affairs in their role as Royalty can and will be organized by CABA, Central Area Betterment Association, Day of the Dead Celebration, Day of the Dead Parade and that each will be required to obtain written permission before undertaking any professional public and social presentation as well as any endorsements.
Name and Likeness: Catrina Models understand and give permission and consent for Catrina Model’s name, image, likeness, and voice to be used without charge for all marketing, advertising, publicity and/or commercial purposes and in the eventuality that you may appear on Digital Media or otherwise. All contestants agree to be interviewed by the press and associated media should the situation arise.
Nudity: Under no circumstances should Catrina model participants engage or plan to engage in being photographed or video recorded nude or semi-nude nor appear in a publication, film, or digitally be reproduced, displayed, or expose via internet or otherwise during the Catrina Models participation or title holding period. If this happened before registration, a notification of such material existence must be reported, failure to report this will be cause for elimination. The prior
existence of these materials shall not be grounds for disqualification.
Behavior: Participants MUST abide by the Rules and Regulations herein and should, always, display first- rate manners, etiquette and Day of the Dead spirit, inclusivity and sportsman-like behavior to all other contestants, finalist, judges, members of staff and all associated. Day of the Dead Celebration is a Cultural, family-orientated event and, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will any profanities, racially motivated comments, harassment, obscene or abusive language or gestures be permitted. This policy also extends to the family and supporters of all contestants. Any Catrina
Models, family member or guest found to be displaying such conduct shallautomatically disqualify the contestant or related contestant from the contest without refund of Registration Fees.
Self-Promotion & Social Networking: It is important to promote yourself as a participant on all your social media outlets in a positive, inspirational, and uplifting way. Contestant will need to like CABA’s Facebook, The Facebook event, Twitter, and Instagram accounts. Each Contestant will have the opportunity and capability to gain additional votes to their total by working on their marketing after your digital submission is published. You are encouraged to use your social media pages such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Tik-Tok to promote your entry into the Contest.
As you will be representing the Day of the Dead Catrina Queen Contest, we would ask that you pay close attention to the comments, photographs, and messages that you are posting and that they are befitting your etiquette as a Contestant. If any contestant is found out to have inappropriate photographs, defamatory comments, or vial behavior then they will be immediately disqualified without reimbursement of Registration Fee and their title will be relinquished.
Participation Sponsorship: Contestant are welcome to find Sponsors to assist them with funding participation fees and general cost. In fact, we actively encourage it! If you can access either family, friends or acquaintances who want to sponsor you, then this is great! You may also want to contact local businesses such as Supermarkets, Banks, Beauty salons, Hairdressers, Doctors’ offices, local shops, or any other organization that you feel may be interested in sponsoring you. You can have either one sponsor or many who are ready to support your entry into the Contest. Participation Sponsorships will be recognized during the first stage of the Contest.
Ownership of Title: Contestant and winners will understand and acknowledge that your Day of the Dead participation and title is owned and controlled by the Central Area Betterment Association.
Titleholders Responsibility: Contestant agree that, as a participant or titleholder, any failure to operate or live up the expectation or not conducting themselves commensurately within expected Day of the Dead Contest rules, regulations and terms or obligations hereof, that this will result in immediate disqualification as a participant or titleholder together with the immediate return of all prizes awarded, cash prizes and crown.
Falsified Information: Contestant must not provide falsified information or falsified details on their registration form. If it is established that a contestant has provided false information, then this will lead to immediate dismissal from the contest and in the case of this situation happening to the Catrina Queen winner, the contestant will be required to return all prizes awarded and these will be given to the 2nd runner up who is by default the successor to the title.
Criminal Records: Contestants should not have any criminal charges pending against them and should not, in any way, be engaged nor planning to engage in any activities that are or may be characterized as dishonest, immoral, indecent, or illegal.
Accidents or Acts of Nature: “Day of the Dead Queen Contest”, Central Area Betterment Association nor any of its partners will be held responsible if an act of nature or accident such as severe/bad weather or power failure causes the contest to be canceled or postponed.
Events and Appearances: All contestant and titleholders (1st and runners-up) will be required to make special appearances scheduled and arranged by the Day of the Dead Contest Director for the Day of the Dead Celebration and other Central Area Betterment Association promotional activities.
All rules can be changed by the Contest Directors and Organizers as deemed appropriate with immediate notification to the Contestants via Email within twenty-four (24) hours of the change taking place.