Dia de Muertos
double click PDF icon
Day of the Dead Art Exhibit
The pandemic has stop us from coming together but it has not stopped us from showing our tradition, the love for our people and the representing of our communities in as many ways as possible. One powerful way to represent is Street Art, including all its formal and informal demonstrations. While we promote the creativity, art and beauty of Day of the Dead, we have found a way that exhibits all of these fabulous creations, keeping our community safe and yet entertain and amaze by the creative minds at work. We welcome you to be a part of this innovative event allowing you to show your creativity to the community, to the city and to the world of digital media.
Day of the Dead Art Exhibit 2021 Request for Entries.
Registration due by October 28th, 2021 8pm (Central Time)
The C.A.B.A. invites all Greater Kansas City Area Creatives, Artist, Organizations and Businesses to collaborate and produce a creativity-led event to Celebrate Day of the Dead for the enjoyment of our community and attract more visitors and business, bringing more art activity to the Central Area of Kansas City, Kansas. The Street Art initiative is intended to bring together Central Area KCK culture of local arts, business, and community.
This section of our Celebration will ideally inspire artists & business owners to continue creative marketing efforts that include artistic expression beyond our event. Artists and businesses may submit entries limited to Day of the Dead.
Sculptures, Scenography, Staging, Painting, Installation, Lighting.
To see some examples of successful Day of the Dead projects, visit our gallery:
On November 6th, artists will start installation at 9am on Bethany Park and Central Avenue in Kansas City, Kansas. The exhibit will open at 12:00 noon and will remain open until 7:00pm. All artwork displayed could be taken down after 8;00p.m. but must be taken down by Sunday before 3:00p.m. Depending on visiting traffic, the exhibit hours may be extended.
A guide of the art exhibit will be printed and distributed among the visitors giving credit to all participating artist and organizations.
• Projects should be an easy-to-do, low-cost, high-impact visual experience.
• Projects Should use Day of the Dead memorabilia, colors, forms, and shapes honoring the celebration. • Projects should occupy a 20ft front by 10ft deep space max.
• Project design should be large enough for visitors to view at night from 20’ft away.
• Projects should be as tall as structural safety permits to increase visibility.
• Projects should use independent illumination such as solar panel lighting and/or low noise generators.
• The project’s production should be documented by photographs.
• Creatives, artist, and businesses must work to create/foster beautiful artistic displays in support of the cultural activity. Even though Day of the Dead is a Mexican Tradition, the productions should support a diverse audience while keeping the artistic style of the traditional celebration.
• Creatives, Artist, and Business participating must promote the event and participation appropriately through social media and other methods at least 4 times leading up to the event using official flyer or project drafts (not full display pictures) and the event’s official hashtags and markings:
#SeeYouOnCentral #DayOfTheDeadWeekendKC #DayOfTheDeadCelebration #CABAStreetArtGrant #DriveThruArtExhibit #CABA #LaPlacitaMarket #Offerings #DiaDeLosMuertos #DiaDeMuertos #Catrinas #WyCo
Who can Exhibit?
Creative teams or individual artist, businesses teams or business partnerships with creatives or artists. • Creatives and artists of all disciplines Local to the Greater Kansas City Area
Creatives or artist of all backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, preferences, or personal denominations willing to apply their creativity to showcasing and promoting the Day of the Dead Celebration artistry.
Businesses or organizations willing to promote the Central Avenue Commercial Corridor with art and culture.
Exhibitors must fill out and sign enrollment form fully.
All enrollments must be received by email to catrinacontestKC@gmail.com
or by regular mail by October 28th, 2021, before 8pm (Central Time)
Regular mail registration forms to:
C.A.B.A. Street Art Grant.
PO Box 171262
Kansas City, Kansas. 66117